There are certain events that happen very rarely in your life and my HB cooking is certainly one of those. And boy does he cook! The other day he tried his hand in the kitchen and the end product was a delicious tandoori chicken!
Tandoori chicken is a very famous chicken dish from north India. All restaurants in the US have tandoori chicken in their menu and is well known among Americans.
In fact, there are so many tandoori chicken recipes out there posted by Americans in the internet. Tandoori chicken is one of the healthiest chicken recipes since it does not involve too much oil (oil is added only at the end of preparation).
My HB’s recipe is an adaption of VareVah chef’s recipe. It is very simple and easy to make. One main advantage of this recipe is that you don’t have to marinate the chicken for hours like in other chicken recipes. Do try it in your home and let me know your experiences 🙂
- Drumstick chicken – 2
- Red chilli powder – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Salt as required
- Lemon juice – 4 tbsp
- Curd - 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste - tbsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves (kasthoori methi) – 1 tbsp
- Cooking oil/ spray
- Wash the drumstick chicken thoroughly in running water and dab it with tissue/towel. Make few gashes in the chicken
- Mix a tbsp of red chilli powder, a tsp of salt and lemon juice and make it in to a paste. Rub this paste on chicken and make sure it is well applied on the cuts that had made on the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 420 °F.
- Mix yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, half a tsp each of salt, pepper powder , kasthoori methi leaves(crushed with your palms), garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, a tbsp of coriander powder and 2 tbsp of lime juice and make a thick paste without any lumps. Add red color to the marination (always mix food color with little water and add to your dish).
- Place the marinated chicken on the tandoori pan, spray cooking oil on top of the chicken and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the pan, turn over the chicken and brush them with little oil on top. Cook for another 10 minutes.