Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! I can hear the wheels turning in your head as to what to make for this special day so that your loved one will be blown away. I too had the same apprehension and I finally took a plunge in to a relatively unknown territory, Ice-cream cake. Yes, I finally made an ice-cream cake for my HB! It is the Mocha Ice-cream cake, entirely homemade 🙂 To be honest, I had had ice-cream cake only once before today, that too in my childhood. In fact I did not even know that it was an ice-cream cake then.
The Mocha Ice-cream cake is a pretty simple cake but extremely delicious and will particularly be enjoyed by coffee lovers, I believe, because my HB is one. The main thing to note while making the cake is the consistency of the mocha whipped cream. It should be beaten until you get a stiff peak. I have used homemade chocolate chunk cookies (for which I will post the recipe soon) as the base but you can also use store bought cookies. But make sure that you get good quality ones. Also, I personally prefer dark chocolate chunk cookies instead of the regular ones because they enhance the mocha flavor and the latter will make the cake too sweet. And I used a springform pan to shape the cake but you can also use a dessert bowl or any other small bowl to hold the ice-cream cake.
The Mocha Ice-cream Cake is pretty light and is not too sweet (because of the dark chocolate and brown sugar) and can be had for dessert or simply as is. My HB thoroughly enjoyed it 🙂 and hope your loved ones will too once you make this extremely delicious cake. So do try it out and let me know your experience 🙂
- ½ cup cold heavy cream
- 3 oz of Italian mascarpone cheese
- 1 ¼ tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp filter coffee decoction
- ½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed)
- ¼ tsp instant espresso
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 Good quality thin crust chocolate chip cookies
- 10 Lindt toffee bites (optional)
- 1 Godiva dark chocolate truffle
- I made homemade thin crust brown butter dark chocolate chunk cookies for this recipe. You could use any good quality thin crust chocolate chip cookies for this recipe.
- First add all the above given ingredients except cookies in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix them in very low speed until combined.
- Then move to medium speed until stiff peak forms. It takes around couple of minutes.
- Then in a 4” spring form pan, line the cookies on the bottom.
- Layer the cookies with mocha whipped cream on top.
- And repeat by layering another cookie and mocha whipped cream layers.
- Repeat and finish it off with mocha whipped cream layer. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully scrape the sides using plastic knife before removing from the pan. Drizzle a tsp of cocoa powder on top using strainer and decorate with lindt toffee bites or anything of your choice. Enjoy!